Vegan and Gluten Free
1 packed cup grated carrot
1 cup dates, soaked in hot water for 5-10mins then drained
1 ½ cups walnuts, raw, whole
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 heaped tbls almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
Pinch sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbls Wellgrove Liquid Olive Leaf Extract OR 4 Wellgrove Olive Leaf Extract capsules, break open
Coconut Cashew frosting (optional):
¾ cup coconut yogurt
¾ cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight then drained
1-2 tbls maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract to a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Add the dates, carrot and Wellgrove Olive Leaf Extract and pulse again until it looks like a crumbly dough.
- Add in coconut and almond flour and quickly pulse until just mixed through. Be careful not to over pulse (the mixture will feel sticky and look crumbly in texture).
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with baking paper.
- Spoon the carrot cake mixture into the pan and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the freezer to set whilst making the frosting.
- Once frosting is on, freeze for 4 hours until set.
- Cut into bite sized squares with a sharp knife.
- Best kept in the freezer, and taken out 30 mins before enjoying, or refrigerate until ready to eat.
For the frosting:
- Add cashews to a food processor or blender. Blitz until broken up and crumbly.
- Add the coconut yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and creamy (this may take a few minutes).
- Spoon onto the carrot cake and spread out evenly.